Long trains rollin'

Fri Aug 4 19:26:14 EDT 2006

Frank:
On Oct. 25, 1967, N&W operated a 450-car coal train. According to my
source, it had three engines on the head end and five units pushing. Thought
I'd heard that they had a pusher in the middle also. Don Mayberry and
"Skip" Salmon MAY have been on the trip.

Don't know how tonnage ratings are derived -- maybe by formula or maybe
something to do with the dynamometer car. I do know you're asking for trouble
if you exceed the tonnage rating -- especially on Baldwins. The PRSL (that
was a subsidiary of the wooden axle outfit Abe worked for) had arranged to
get the sailors home for Christmas by sending three troop trains to the
base. I was on the first one -- a 1,000 HP Baldwin hauling 16 passenger
cars.
At Winslow Jct., the Baldwin crapped out and everyone missed their
connection in Filthydelphia.

The Baldwins got me in trouble too. The tonnage ratings on NS were carefully
adhered to -- not even one ton over. With jam-up tonnage to move, I decided
I could get more cars off the yard by moving the mtys and saving the loads
for
the next train. The Traffic Department wasn't too pleased with that
decision
(and they were right).

Harry Bundy