Bristol Line signals ten years ago

Sat Jul 22 17:48:19 EDT 2006

Ben,

Bravo!!

Encore!!

Dave Lambert

_____

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:06 PM
To: NWHS mailing list; Abram Burnett
Subject: Bristol Line signals ten years ago

The recent topic of CTC on the Bristol Line brought back to mind my project
ten years ago in which I set out to photograph all the signals on the line.
While I missed quite a few by not knowing where they were, or having to
trespass, I did quite a bit of field research, study and documentation. I
have a notebook full of information that I learned and noted, from footer
locations, and long forgotten signal locations, to photograph exposure
settings, dates, locations, etc.

Ten years ago at this time I was running all over the country in my spare
time taking as many photos as I could to capture the passing of these
signals, much in the same way a lot of you folks did all you could to
capture the passing of steam locomotives. I decided to share a few with
you, and if there's interest, I will post more.

As a note, I had hoped at one time to publish a book about all this, but I
doubt that will ever happen. Besides, this way I can share them with
everyone at no cost to me or you!

Let's start at Rural Retreat and head west.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/eastendlookingeast
1996640.jpg

Here we have the East End Rural Retreat signals, with the station on the
left, and we are looking east. The date is July, 1996. The eastward signal
only has one arm on it as a result of the siding being removed about five
years previous to the photo, and the signals were modified accordingly, but
retained as a control point. The footers for the new Safetran signals are
highlighted to make them more visible. They were installed about a week
later. It would be the following January before they were turned on.

Now, we're at the West End of Rural Retreat. July, 1996.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/westendlookingeast
bw.jpg

This is the West End Rural Retreat signal, still a controlled signal, but
the siding is gone as we noted on the east end. The signal's lower arm has
only the center marker lamp, as the diagonal aspect has been removed, and
the corresponding westward signal in the distance also has no arm for the
siding anymore. There are no signals at this location anymore.

Here is a pedistal box about a mile on west of Rural Retreat.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/pedistalbox640.jpg

I have no idea what was in it, and I wanted to get one, but was unable to.

At the Brickyard, about three miles on west, I captured this train on
November 15th, 1996.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/356211-15-96640.jp

Now we're at Mount Carmel, about a mile west of the East End Marion siding.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/3611nightapproachd
ivergingretouched.jpg

This was this signals last approach diverging aspect given, taken in the wee
hours before dawn the day of the signal cutover in February 1997 and we're
looking west. The constellation Orion was visible in the sky beyond the
signal, and is very clear on the slide, but didn't scan over well, so I
retouched it to make it easier to see.

Here's the same location looking east. This was taken in the late summer of
1996.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/looklingeastnight6
40.jpg

This photo not only documents the signals better than any day shot I have,
but also emphasizes the pole line crossing the tracks to the north side.
After about a mile, they crossed back to the south side. I have no idea
why.

Now, here's my most famous photo taken at McMullin, about three miles west
of Marion in April 1992, looking east to see the moon rise.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/Moonshot01640.jpg

This was a twelve second time lapse photo, and a car passed over the bridge
to the left. This actually helped emphasize the bridge. This was not a
planned photo. It was a pure stroke of luck.

Here's the same location in a daytime photo. You can see how unremarkable
the location is.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/signals/mcmullinday640.jpg

I don't remember for sure, but I think I took this photo the very next day.
The night shot puts the emphasis on what I wanted to capture, while this one
is kind of bland and unremarkable.

I hope you enjoy this little slideshow, and as I said, if there's interest,
I'll post more.

Enjoy!

Ben Blevins

_____

Do you Yahoo!?
Get on board. You're
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42298/*http:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/handra
isers> invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail Beta.