Wabash-N&W Chicago Commuter Train Departure Time from Decatur on Monday Monrings

Tue Jul 18 23:56:53 EDT 2006

From: "darlaroth" <darlaroth at insightbb.com>
To: "David Gibson" <dtgibson49 at yahoo.com>, "Frank
Scheer" <f_scheer at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wabash-N&W Chicago Commuter Train
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:23:40 -0500

Dave and Frank,

Thank you ver much for the information!!! I have one
more question. Can you recall approximately what time
the deadhead passenger train departed Decatur to run
to Orland Park on Monday morning?

Sincerely,
Andy

July 19, 2006

Hello, Andy:

I don't remember, but Harry Bundy mentioned that it
was due to leave Orland Park at 6:30 AM for its
inbound trip to Chicago. I suppose one approach you
could use if you don't get better information is to
review a 1960s Official Guide for the Blue Bird or
Banner Blue schedules between Decatur and Orland Park
for the running time. Even though the train didn't
make stops which would have shortened transit time, it
might have been offset by reduced speeds. I think
that passenger train speeds had been removed from the
operating timetable by 1974. It also probably took
sidings for on-coming freight trains too, although
freight was light on that route.

Although not related to your query, Decatur was
interesting from a aeveral other perspectives. The
Illinois Terminal ran on trackage rights from Decatur
to Springfield. The B&O operated between Boody and
Blue Mound on the Brooklyn District, then had a grade
crossing at Taylorville. Finally, the old main line
of the Illinois Central crossed at Wabic Tower; the
"new" main line via Centralia replaced that corridor
for its principal freight and passenger services.
Unfortunately, with N&W days that started at 12 hours
and sometimes went longer, thirteen days every two
weeks, it didn't leave much time for investigating
these other facets of Decatur.

Good morning,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com