RPO photos at RR Museum of PA and New Oxford station

Sat Jul 15 04:20:01 EDT 2006

July 15, 2006

Good morning!

I've moved some photos taken during my Pennsylvania
trip on July 7 to a website address. You can reach
these pictures by going to
http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org/0707TRIP/ and
clicking on individual files to open images.

Although no N&W RPOs are present, the B&O 60-feet RPO
car number 61 at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania
is identical to the ones shown in the videos presented
at the N&W HS meeting on July 6. Unfortunately, there
is little likelihood that this car will be restored.
A similar B&O RPO owned by the Heart of Dixie Chapter
has an equally-deteriorated body.

The mini-museum at the New Oxford, Pennsylvania, is a
surprising hidden jewel. The interior photos reveal
an impressive hand-lantern collection. The combine
behind the station had a 30-feet RPO apartment, now
missing most of its interior fixtures, I believe.
It's on the west side of New Oxford, where the former
WM "Dutch Line" crosses U.S. Highway 30. If one is
nearby on a first and third Sunday afternoon when the
Conewago Valley Model Railroad Club has the station
open, it ought to be a nice railfan stop.

Good night and good morning,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com