steam loco question

Tue Jun 27 05:10:27 EDT 2006

The tires and wheels on locomotives, as well as rolling stock, are shaped in such a way that as the wheel enters a curve, the outside wheel raises up on the wheel flange, and the inside wheel lowers closer to the rail head, thus creating a cone effect, with the outside wheel on a slightly larger diameter than the inside wheel. At least, that's the way a retired railroader explained it to me. I hope it makes sense. He drew me a picture to make it more plain.

Ben Blevins

A steam locomotive enters a curve with drivers on both sides eating up the same amount of rail,--why does the drivers on the shorter rail not climb out ??