Did the N&W have any GP38s?

Mon Jun 5 10:02:52 EDT 2006

I refer to the book "N&W 2nd generation diesels" on page 213 on my research. This is a "Governor's Special" in Roanoke VA in Jan. of 1982. For some reason I passed it up 2x's when researching the information. This, along with the other units, had the "Norfolk and Western" spelled out on it at that time.

Jerry Butler

A little more input into this subject. While looking through some of my photos I found one of the 4104 in the "Norfolk and Western" paint scheme on a ballast train taken December of 1984 in Hopewell.

Herman Wilkins

Jim,

They (the GP38-2's) were still in the IT green for a brief period around the time of the NS merger in 1982. I do have a pic in my N&W 2nd Gen Diesels book that shows 4160 in IT green in April of 82 and it was in the F8 scheme since at least Sept. of '83.
I am thinking that they repainted the -2's sometime towards the end of 82, I'm not able to recall when exactly,

Jerry Butler

Relying on personal recollection, all the GP38-2s were painted in that paint scheme. Oddly, the SD39s got the NW lettering, at least initially. They ran around for awhile in the green before they got the F8 paint job. I never saw the GP38s in the green.

http://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-mailing-list________________________________________