Ash Hoists

Sun Jun 4 21:20:09 EDT 2006

In this photo there is what looks like a door that is raised; it is leaning against the support structure of the hoist and, I believe, cannot go any further in that direction.

Did this somehow fold down over the track to cover the pit opening?

Also, could the engine crew empty the ashpan of a locomotive without dumping the fire completely?

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: Ash Hoists

Here's Jim Brewer's find, VTU image "nw147," after a trip through Mr Adobe's car wash.

If VTU gave us images of a bit higher resolution, we could read the number on the front of that K on the right.

-- abram burnett