Car Poleing.

Sun May 28 21:26:18 EDT 2006

Since the N&W kept steam as long as they did, I was curious as to how long
they
continued the practice of "Car Poleing", or shoving a cut of cars on an
adjacent
track using a wooden pole about 8 or 10 feet long re-inforced with a steel
ring
on each end. Standard equipment on steam locomotives was to carry a pole and
a re-railer hanging from each side of the tender. I recall seeing a crew
"pole"
some cars on the Southern well into the era of first generation diesels. The
practice of "poleing" cars was dangerous and could result in a pole shattering
and flying in different directions which could result in injury. The
practice was
seventually considered unsafe, and most roads prohibited it's use. Would
any of you have an idea as to when the N&W too frowned on the practice since
they had locomotive tenders in to the diesel age. Time was when all
rolling stock
had a pole pocket on each corner of the car, as well as on both sides of
the pilot
of a steam locomotive, and on each rear corner of the tank. To expose my
ignorance, I cannot recall if any diesel locomotives ever had pole pockets on
any of the early models or not. I also wonder if pole pockets have been
entirely
eliminated from today's rolling stock along with the roof walks. Bill
Sellers.