Use of Gasoline as a Solvent in Shops

Sun May 14 16:22:17 EDT 2006

Probably kept it right next to the drums of fels naptha and carbon tetrachloride ... :)
Andre Jackson and/or Lisa Burrows
Life is short; update your anti-virus software
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 9:21 PM
Subject: Use of Gasoline as a Solvent in Shops

I've been tearing down and rebuilding some really old air brake equipment. The grease had dried into glue.

Some of the valves I had to take to the locomotive shop at work and place in the BIG vise on a steel work bench bolted to the floor, and use a 4 foot piece of pipe as a wrench "extender handle." Our Signals Engineer, Bill, helped me with the heavy work. He's a mechanical engineer by training and a certified P.E. (Professional Engineer) who has been rebuilding a full-size 0-6-0... including pulling the boiler off the frame and straightening the frame !

Bill told me that in the old days, before good solvents were available, railroad shops used gasoline as the solvent for soaking and cleaning air brake parts. Holey Moley ! Around a shop???

Anyone else heard this story?

-- abram burnett