Train Orders

Mon May 8 11:14:09 EDT 2006

Bill Sellers:
I believe Abeie was giving you the abbreviated version of a train order, or
as frequently stated by the ICC "the order read in part".

I suspect that the collision on the Asheville Division which resulted in
specifying which train would take siding was the one that occurred at
Eufola, NC (between Statesville and Hickory) on June 21, 1963. This
investigation (#3998) is not in DOT's files and my copy was given to the
NS Safety Department. By my recollection, the accident was caused
by an eastbound and a westbound BOTH holding the main track at
the meeting point.

N&W was fortunate that it had traffic volumes that would support either
double track or traffic control. True, the Clinch Valley, the Durham
District, and the Winston District were late comers. On the other hand,
Southern had a multitude of divisions and districts that were single track,
ABS - only. For example: the Knocksville Division, the Asheville Division,
the GS&F, the NO&NE, and the Memphis Division. Most N&W people
pooh-poohed it, but the Wabash had a system Southern should have tried--
hermaphrodite Traffic Control. This was in effect on the Hannibal and
parts of the Springfield Districts. It varied from traffic control in that
the
dispatcher controlled the signals and the train crews handled the switches.
It eliminates the need for train orders and leaves little to interpretation.
Drawbacks ? It had a few. For one, a follow up move was better off
waiting until the train ahead cleared the next siding so it could move on
a clear signal. Other than the approach and home signals for the sidings,
there were no intermediate signals. Hermaphrodite Traffic Control wasn't
as good as TC, but it sure beat timetable and train orders.

Speaking of time table and train order operation, here is a train order,
IN PART, issued on SLSF's Rolla Subdivision on Mar 10, 1944. Since
no accident investigation was issued for that date, I guess there were
no head-end collisions on the Rolla Sub that day. See how many meets
are involved.

Train Order No. 92 to C&E Third, Fourth, Fifth 34, No. 32 and No. 36
at Dillon.

Third Fourth and Fifth 39 Engs 1509 4506 and 4024 hold main track
meet Third 38 Eng 4301 at Maselle. Hold main track meet Fourth
38 Eng 4302 on westward siding Stanton. Hold main track meet
Fifth 38 Eng 4309 at Stanton. Hold main track meet First 34 Eng 4514
on westward siding Sullivan. Hold main track meet Second 34 Eng 4417
at Sullivan. Hold main track meet Third 34 Eng 4301 at Coffeyton
and have right over Fourth and Fifth 34 Eng 4419 and 4521
Pacific to Cuba, right over No. 32 and No. 36 Pacific to Dillon and
hold main track at Cuba against Fourth and Fifth 34.
(Sig.) CHR

Harry Bundy