Scioto Div. station info needed- Q for Ken Miller

Wed May 3 23:12:07 EDT 2006

Terry

There is no listing at all for Hopetown in the any of my lists, on up
through the 1950s

Telegraphic calls were occasionally repeated on different divisions,
such as W was used for Wytheville on the Bristol Line, and
Willardsville on the Durham District and Hanging Rock, Ohio on the
Scioto Division. Even stranger on the Scioto Division, WI was used at
the same time for both Idlewild on the Cincinnati District, and
Wilsondale on the 12 Pole line.

RS was used for Richlands on the Clinch Valley District.

I don't believe that the name of the location had a specific plan of a
telegraphic call, since stations came and went with time, some of the
earliest stations had single letter calls, such as Lynchburg as X, Q
for Abingdon, etc.

Others like FM for Falls Mills makes sense, but BX for Christiansburg
and any large number of others does not. Wouldn't WS be the expected
call for Winston Salem, NC? Apparently not, as north on the Shenandoah
Division was WS, used at Nace. Probably the most unusual would be
calling the agent at Alnwick with the call VD?

It would be nice to know some of the thoughts about calls, and how they
were assigned, I am sure there is some form of logic. Perhaps some were
made up simply because they would be easier to send and not easily
confused to other operators, I really do not know.

Hope this helps

Ken Miller