2153 Boiler Explosion Pictures

Thu Apr 27 09:38:54 EDT 2006

I worked occasionally as the head end brakeman of the job Fred Sledd was working when I hired out in 1976. He held down the rear brakeman's position on trains 77/78 when I worked with him. He didn't talk much about the explosion except to say that he told the engineer that "he wasn't going to stand around and watch them blow themselves up" when they stopped to work on the injector that he thought was giving them the problem. He said that he had been beside the engine and had turned to walk to the cab, and had gotten no further than beside the tender when the engine blew down. He showed me the scars on his legs and chest that was caused by the steam. Very fortunate man.

Chuck Akers
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: 2153 Bolier Explosion Pictures

Fireman H. C. Hawthorne was killed, apparently instantly.

Student Brakeman M. B. Shorter died later.

Engineer W. D. Shumate, Jr. died later.

Brakeman F. H. Sledd survived.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:28 AM