Dog House on modern N&W steam

Thu Apr 13 09:41:50 EDT 2006

My father told me about an experience he had one night on the Radford
Division as a head-end brakeman involving the Doghouse on the tender. Not sure if
it is true, but it was fun to listen to him tell his tales of working on the
railroad.....
It seems that one cold winter night when he returned to the doghouse after
"turning up the retainers", he found a rather large gentleman riding in the
doghouse. Evidently the man was a hobo that was seeking a warm place to ride.
My father said that he thought about asking him to get out, but reconsidered
when he realized the fellow was much larger than he was and might possibly
throw him from the train, if a scuffle ensued. The only words spoken between
them came from my father when he told the hobo that he had to move
over....Supposedly they road together the rest of the trip in silence....Upon arrival
in the yard, my father left the doghouse and upon his return a moment later,
he found the fellow had departed.....transportation courtesy of the
Not sure it its true, but interesting none the less!

Regards,
Mike Dowdy