TAN; Re: Cow and calf

Wed Apr 12 17:50:43 EDT 2006

I stand corrected! (I certainly have my foamer moments, sad to say.)

peter

How does SP lash them up, pete? Do they use rope, baling wire or
duct tape?

N&W and every other railroad I ever heard of never "lashed them up".
They coupled them up (MUed) them into combinations that were termed
"consists".

In 43 years I never heard a railroader use the term "lashup". I've
heard plenty of foamers use the term, though, and it always affects
me like scraping fingernails across a blackboard . . .

Ed King
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 3:46 PM
Subject: TAN; Re: Cow and calf

Not so odd, perhaps. For example, the SP had a batch of SW1500s with
road trucks which I've seen occasionally in road freight lash-ups.
At one time, all SP Diesels were being built with the same gear ratios.

pete groom

. . .The UP at one point used SW1500 [I think] cow / calf sets as
helpers on grades in CA. Very strange choice.

. . .