PS-2 Covered hoppers

Tue Apr 4 00:20:32 EDT 2006

John,

As you are probably aware, PS-2 is a designation of the builder, Pullman Standard. It is a covered hopper that was offered in 2-bay and 3-bay versions, but both are designated PS-2.

On the original N&W, Class HC-7 were the 2-bay PS-2 covered hopper in number series 71200-71249 http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns2141.jpeg
and number series 71300-71349 http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns2140.jpeg

. The N&W purchased the 2-bay version with the channel rib above each bolster, and the outer most roof hatches are located above the channels.

N&W 71350-71399 http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns2139.jpeg
and N&W 71400-71425 http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns2138.jpeg
were Class HC-8 and built by American Car & Foundry, and had a cubic capacity of 2006 cubic feet. Although similar in overall appearance to the HC-7 cars, this group had the outer most roof hatches centered over the innermost wheels of each truck; in other words, they were more toward the center of the car rather than the end, like on the HC-7. See

N&W 71426-71475 were Class HC-9 built by Greenville Steel Car Co. with a 2003 cubic foot capacity. See http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1926.jpeg

N&W 181950-181999, Class HC-62 were former P&WV 1950-1999, built by Pullman Standard; these are PS-2, 2003 cubic foot capacity cars. My equipment diagram does not specify which type of trucks these cars rode on.

N&W 182000-182049, Class HC-63 were former P&WV 2000-2049, built by Pullman Standard; these are PS-2, 2003 cubic foot capacity cars. My equipment diagram designates ASF Ride Control trucks for this class. My guess is this is the distinction between these two former Pittsburgh & West Virginia groups of cars.

In essence, the P&WV cars are nearly identical to the N&W Class HC-7 cars.

N&W 291500-291599, N&W Class HC-39 are former NKP 91500-91599, built by Greenville Steel Car Co. with a 2003 cubic foot capacity. These cars had the outer most roof hatches located above the channel section above the truck bolsters.

You may want to try the Viriginia Tech web site, http://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/ and search for other photos of the original N&W cars. As these are from the N&W, they tend to be of original N&W equipment. You may have to search more for the other cars that came from roads merged into N&W, such as P&WV and NKP, etc. The Fallen Flags site might be a good place to start http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/

You could also do a Google search and/or contact the other historical societies to see what information they can supply.

Jim Brewer