Covered Hoppers

Fri Mar 24 01:33:08 EST 2006

Within the last ten years, or so, NS began hauling garbage from NY or Jersey to the land-fill at Amelia. That stuff came through Roanoke at first, and boy was it nasty! It went over the hump, which stirred it up real well, and got the flies all excited. I about gagged every time I had to work a track of that stuff, or was anywhere near, for that matter. It was in high cube boxes with vents cut into the ends, and/or sides to keep it from exploding in the heat. More than one had the doors missing with a couple of pieces of angle iron welded across the opening with plywood to hold the precious cargo.

I think it now comes down the Southern and then east. Most of the last cars I saw, they had begun to load it in small containers which were loaded on flat cars. This secured the cargo and the odor somewhat better than the boxes.

I guess it came down the Valley didn't it Jimmy?

Jeff Sanders
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: Covered Hoppers

Certainly it didn't have the aroma of tankage from Valleydale, but
N&W hauled rejected produce from the Northern Ohio Food
Terminal in Cleveland back to Bellevue and dumped it in an
open field across from Bragg Road. The city council put a stop
to that.
Harry Bundy