Covered Hoppers

Wed Mar 22 16:47:49 EST 2006

I find it hard to believe that a railroad reputed to be as progressive as
the Southern would resort to such a backward, labor-intensive practice as to
sand locomotives out of 50-pound paper bags, except at the smallest of
servicing points. With dry sand weighing about 100 pounds/cu ft, it would
take 36 of those bags to fill the 18 cu. ft. capacity sand boxes on a GP-9
road switcher (or 144 bags to fill the 72 cu. ft. boxes on a SD-45).

According to drawings in the NWHS archives, as early as 1957 the N & W was
hauling dry sand in large tanks mounted on gondola cars and arranged such
that the tanks could be pressurized with air from a source at the unloading
spot. The dry sand would be blown into the elevated storage tanks where it
could be dispensed by gravity into the locomotive sand boxes untouched by
human hands.

As recently as 1976, the N & W had 66 covered hopper cars specially modified
for dry sand service according to an N & W Equipment Guide book of that
date.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:06 PM
Subject: Covered Hoppers