Steam Locomotive and "A" Tank Questions

Fri Mar 10 23:05:55 EST 2006

Today I was at the archives to get some of your answers. I did not find
anything about smokebox sheathing.

Concerning the coal boards, they were first applied to the Class A tenders
and the date of the document concerning this was March 1955. In August 1955,
further documentation states that they were to be applied to classes Y5, Y6,
Y6a and Y6b tenders. These were probably applied at engine terminals since
this was a relatively easy modification.

Regarding the A-tanks, 93 were built from 5/52 to 4/54. Forty three were
assigned to the Class A's and that left 50 for the Y5 and Y6's. As
originally built, the round top was extended to cover the coal bunker,
however the coal bunker was empty and the A-tanks remained at 16,000
gallons. In mid-1954, these tenders began being modified so that the coal
space became a water space, thus increasing the water capacity to 20,800
gallons. Until all 93 A-tanks were modified, the road numbers of each
modified tender carried the letter "A" in front of the road number;
afterward the "A" was dropped.

Interestingly, here are the weights: 16,000 empty was 101,500 pounds; loaded
234,800 pounds.
20,800 empty was
108,000 pounds, loaded 281,400 pounds.

Bud Jeffries