Anyone know where these locations are?

Sat Feb 18 13:06:25 EST 2006

> February 17, 2006

> Good afternoon, all:

> I am trying to identify the milepost and branch of several locations.

> These all served briefly as an end-point for a Railway Post Office

> run. Unfortunately, I don't have early N&W station lists. These

> points are:

> Dunlow

> Estonoa

> Ethelfelts

> Gossan

Located on the Chestnut Creek Branch off the North Carolina Branch.
Gossen Mines was a spur off that branch.

> Leckie

The Leckie that Harry referred to is in McDowell County, and the one
you are looking for.

> Monarat

According to your document, it would be located on the North Carolina
Branch, at a location known as Chestnut Yard, 7 miles or so from Galax.

> Lovely Mount

> New River Depot

As Harry pointed out, this may have referred to the prior to 1880 (or
so) name of Radford.

> Also, what was the milepost for East Radford relative to Radford? Is

> the surviving 1950s building located near the Radford University

> campus the "Radford" station?

Radford vs. East Radord. East Radford is where the present depot is,
the N&W referred to Radord as a passenger stop, 1 mile to the south or
west of East Radford. That was eliminated from timetables sometime in
the 1930s, I believe.

Ken Miller