Whither the Link and Pin ?

Wed Jan 25 02:44:32 EST 2006

a.b.

Eli Janney was born in Loudoun County, VA. When Janney finally found someone to develop his invention, the owners of Eagle Gray Iron Foundry in Pittsburgh, "paid him enough to buy a farm back in Virginia", where he lived until his death in 1912.

"Ole Virginny" comes through again!

Jeff
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: Whither the Link and Pin ?

When I worked briefly on the Shenandoah Division fourty years ago, one of the Conductors I occasionally ran with was Edward J. Janney. Ed said he was a distant relative of the inventor of the Janney coupler.

I just put Ed's name in one of the "people finder" search engines and it says that he is still living in Roanoke, at age 93.

I must remark that Ed Janney was a prince and a gentleman.

-- abram burnett