Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen identification disk

Sat Jan 21 21:45:16 EST 2006

I also have one of these. A co-worker gave it to me, and said a friend of his family gave it to him, thinking he might be interested, since he worked for the railroad.

Anyway, it appears to me to have been issued to BRT members who had Accident &/or Health insurance through the union. I seriously doubt that the UTU would still have that kind of records. I did check the UTU website (utu.org). They have contact info, but I believe it pertains mainly to current issues. But, it might be worth a try.

Jeff Sanders
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen identification disk

This isn't a membership pin or service pin. I have a BRT membership pin and service pins for 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 years service as well a couple of UTU pins.

The disk I'm asking about is circular, and the front has:

"Accident
B of RT
Health"

with "Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen" along the outer edge.

The reverse has "if injured or unconcious to identify me, (a number is shown in a space in the center) telegraph this number to the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, Cleveland, Ohio"

Mine is attached to a long watch chain. I suppose it could have been worn around the neck like a dog tag.

I have no idea what Lodge my grandfather or father was in, but I figure someone inherited the membership records.

R.W. Vaughan