Where were A,J and Y classes scrapped?

Sat Jan 21 09:07:19 EST 2006

In answer to your first question, I have photos of stored steam at
Bluefield, Williamson and Kenova and possibly others that I just don't
recall.

Steam locomotives were stored in a lot of places waiting for the
scrappers, since so much was dumped on the market at once, the scappers
had a lot to cut, and only so many people and places to store those
locos. Many were quickly sold as the price of scrap was high in 1960,
but may have lingered on the property for a time until they could be
accepted at the scrap yards.

Locomotives were stored at Roanoke, Bluefield, Williamson, Kenova and
Portsmouth that I know of for sure, I suspect that most every larger
terminal had at least some power stored, perhaps short of Shenandoah,
Winston-Salem or Durham since they were early diesel spots.

When the last ones were scrapped is difficult to answer, the N&W
records only reflect a sale date, not the actual cutting date or dates.
Many were cut fairly quickly, again the price was high, some lingered
around for years. Such as the locomotives still in the yard of Virginia
Scrap and Iron, sold 1950. Class A locomotive that were sold as standby
boilers for Union Carbide in Charleston, West Virginia, 1218 was
assembled from the best of those, the others cut up in 1964. The two Ys
in Roanoke owned by United Scrap Iron, 2189 and 2143, if I recall
correctly, sat stored at Shaffers Crossing until about 1970, sold 1960,
moved to United scrap and finally cut about 1973.

Most of the As for example were removed from the roster and sold in
1958 and 1959, but for some reason, 1214 was not sold until April of
1961, even though it had been retired at Shaffers Crossing on August
25, 1959.

One must remember that the last steam removed from the roster was
September 1960, none under steam past the famous May date, but kept on
hand until the railroad was positive they had enough diesels to do the
job.

Ken Miller