Saltville Branch photos

Thu Jan 12 16:17:40 EST 2006

Outstanding! I was thinking about driving down myself and snagging a few!

Saltville really is an neat place to explore

Andy Jennings
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 2:41 PM
Subject: Saltville Branch photos

Hello all.
In the spirit of what Andy Jennings has been doing with the North Carolina branch (great job by the way Andy!), I have put a few photos of the Saltville Branch together. If this works, lets hope so.

Saturday, my oldest son and I journeyed to Saltville to visit the tracks for one last time before they begin taking them up. In this photo, http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_0255.jpg
we're looking west over Saltville's joint owned N&W/Olin Mathieson yard. If I understand it right, the tracks on the right was owned by the company, while the tracks on the left were owned by the N&W. Now, they are rusty and the ties are decayed, and the ballast is now gone. A total of four sets of track are visible, but believe there is a total of six still here.

Next we have this photo, http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_0249.jpg
Here we have Mathieson Alkali Works #11 setting under the shed with tank engine #2 behind it. Both engines are in a terrible state at present.

Afterwards, we loaded up and headed east to where the diesel switchers are located. Unfortunately, the crossing at Route 91 has been ripped up and paved over, so I have no idea if or how they expect to display these units with the steam locomotives.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_0243.jpg
This is Olin #1, the SW-1 switcher.

These next two shots are of A&K Railroad Supply's equipment ready to begin tearing up track.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_0248.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_0245.jpg

Lastly, we have one of the few remaining Fruit Growers' Express reefers left behind in Saltville.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e168/signalyard/100_0234.jpg
It was in the process of being converted to an open window excursion car, but that work was never completed as you can see.

This is just a little taste of what is left there, but one can't help but wonder what will be kept and what will be scrapped.

Ben Blevins

Yahoo! Photos