North Carolina Branch industries long gone, and present.

Wed Jan 4 15:11:50 EST 2006

Aubrey:
One of my fondest memories was watching Conductor Charlie Gregg
at the end of a run. His seniority date went back to 1913 and he
had been awarded the title of "Cap'n" years before I ever went to work.
He came into the office looking like he should have been at the
mortuary. Seems that when the train was made, the yardmaster had
placed 10 or so gonolas of limestone ahead of the caboose. During
the trip, the limestone, being of a powdery consistency, had blown all
over him and completely enveloped the 376, his assigned caboose, in
a white dust. After that, yardmaster attempted to provide a "cover car"
between the limestone gons and the caboose.
Harry Bundy