N&W vs. ACL

Sun Jan 1 23:45:23 EST 2006

Bill - There is no reason why an ACL 1800 couldn't have operated on any of
N&W's main lines, and I don't believe anyone ever said it couldn't. What
was said was that it couldn't have operated EFFECTIVELY with N&W's train
weights and grades. Rigid wheelbase has nothing to do with it.

As far as the purple people eaters operating on the N&W - they weren't
expected to be better than the J, and they weren't. What they were were
diesels, and available. Mr. Saunders also leased a number of RF&P units. At
that point in time the wonderful Js were going to go to the scrap line no
matter whose diesels replaced them. It was desired that steam be swept
aside as quickly as possible. The relative merits of the locomotives didn't
matter by then, as long as they were diesels.

EdKing
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 8:57 PM
Subject: N&W vs. ACL