Radford and Shenandoah Divisions

Wed Dec 28 09:14:11 EST 2005

While we're on the topic, what sort of switching went on at Meadowview pre-1980? I saw remains there of a coal trestle; the same spur connected with a feed mill.

Andre,
I remember the Big M Farm Service and Supply at Meadowview, but don't recall any coal hoppers being set-off. I have some old Bristol N&W sales and customer lists from the late 1970s and early 1980s somewhere that I may try to find.

I know there was a Meadowview Mills establishment later, but I'm not sure if this is the former Big M or something different. West of Meadowview at Hayter is Mid-Mountain Foods that was once the Piggy Wiggly Whse, but even before it was Piggly's whse., it was a Gem Homes mobile home mfg. plant. Also a siding for HAPCO was at Hayter west of the Gem Homes (Piggly and Mid-Mtn. site) that was in use before I lived at Abingdon. The siding for HAPCO crossed the Hillman Highway between Abingdon and Glade Spring, etc. I never saw the HAPCO siding used by the locals in the late 1970s, but the Piggly Wiggly siding was used.

I was told this information about the HAPCO and Gem Homes sites by either former Abingdon agent Mr. Cal Cowan or one of Glade Spring's last agents, if not the last, Mr. W. E. Belcher. Piggly Wiggly Had a whse. before the Hayter location, and I believe it was near the Va. Dept. of Highways office/yard in east Abingdon. All this is from memory. Someone on the list more knowledgeable please revise the information.

Mike Jackson
Church Hill, TN