Radford and Shenandoah Divisions

Tue Dec 27 15:00:20 EST 2005

In November, 1970, I made the Radford-Galax run. Coming back to Radford,
the train stopped at Fries Junction and went light to Fries to pick up an
empty system hopper at a textile plant. An 11-mile round trip at yard speed
and on overtime. Do the economics. When I got back to Roanoke, the
boss wanted a report (he'd been a trainmaster on the Radford Division in
the late 40's). I told him we'd gone to Fries (as in French fries) to pick
up an
empty. "No! No! No!" he shrieked. "It's fries in the summer and freeze in
the winter."

Meadow View -- one of the few places I've seen a signal placed not in accord-
ace with (then) Rule 337 - "Signals are located over or at the right of the
track
they govern . . . .unless otherwise provided." At Meadow View, the eastward
signal was on the left side of the track. Had it been located on the right
side
of the track, that coal trestle may have affected the ability of a crew to
view the
signal.
Harry Bundy