Radford and Shenandoah Divisions

Mon Dec 26 20:25:22 EST 2005

Hello from Shenandoah Division country. Glad to be joining the group, and I hope everyone is having a happy holiday season.

On a couple of recent trips to my father-in-law's in Galax, VA, I have stopped to do some railfanning in the Radford/Dublin/Pulaski area, and was wondering if anyone could provide some general information on what was running down there in the 1970's(how many scheduled freights, what kind of traffic, etc.). NS continues to maintain a pretty big presence in Radford, so I imagine things were even busier thirty years ago. If I understand correctly, the N&W used to store "dead" units there in the early 1980's if not before.

If anyone has photos taken in this area during that time period, on the Carolina Branch to Galax, or of Shenandoah Division action, particularly on the Roanoke District between Waynesboro and Glasgow, I'd be interested in seeing them as well. Please contact me off-list at the address below if anyone has photos they can share.

Regards,
John Maugans
chessie8200 at yahoo.com