Reasonably Authentic

Sat Dec 24 13:09:40 EST 2005

Mike,
Thanks for the photo. It helps me to see this. My soon to be wife, Amy, was waiting at the station, and it was the only excursion she ever was able to ride. Having lived right beside the tracks, she'd seen almost every excursion train that had come through, but never rode one until I bought her a ticket for this trip. My sister, who lived in Roanoke at the time, always came out to greet me when we arrived there. Like Jerry, I too was a carhost, and it is a sweet, precious memory for me. Thanks for sharing it with us.
May you all have the best of holiday seasons.
Ben Blevins

Mike,

I remember that trip so well, It was a crisp, clear morning, with not a cloud in the sky except the announcement of the coming end for the NS steam program. I was working that trip as a car host in one of the cars from NC. I remember having on a thick sweatshirt to fight off the chill in the air as we pulled into Marion. Waiting at track side was Kelly (my soon to be wife) holding my niece Chelsea. We rolled to a stop while I was leaning out the vestibule door, and my car pulled right up beside Kelly and Chelsea. Little Chelsea was holding her hands firmly to her ears as the 611 let out a blast of her mournful wail. As we pulled out of town heading to Walton, it was to be the last trip I was to ride the great NS steam program.

Bittersweet memories,

Jerry Hammond

This shot, made at the end of the Steam Program, has always felt
"authentic N&W" to me. It is now on RailPictures.net also.

Merry Christmas to all!

Mike Pierry, Jr.

Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less________________________________________