Crew/Hostler question

Tue Dec 20 18:35:28 EST 2005

Here is a question for those of you with knowledge of the steam era and the labor agreements. I'm asking because I'd like to follow the rules as much as possible in operating my circa 1956 N&W Shenandoah Valley line.

A train would arrive at Shenandoah yard. Who would handle the locmotive once the train has arrived in the yard? Would the crew take it to the lubritorium, then coal and water, and to the roundhouse? Or, would the crew detrain and the hostler take over for all the servicing? Who would sport the caboose on the caboose track?

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD