Help with right of way.

Mon Nov 7 10:28:02 EST 2005

This is an interesting question. Railroads gained their property over the
years in several different manners. In VA. The state had a hand in the
acquisition and control of the property when the chartered the lines. If
the line were abandoned then the property reverted to the state, thus we
have such great public recreation assets as the Creeper trail in SW Va. In
NC that all changes as the company had to acquire their own right-of-way.
In the NW portion of the state the land was purchased but was to revert to
the original owner if the rail was abandoned and removed, thus the Creeper
trail stops at the NC state line and become private property and not
available for use.

>From the previous posts I am unsure if the property in question is an active

ROW or not and which state the property is in. If not in active use, and in
NC you may not have to deal with this at all.

R.D. Williams

_____