Zero Milepost in Norfolk

Wed Nov 2 09:06:45 EST 2005

First out, I'll tell you I can't tell you exactly where Mile Post 0 was
located.
A bit of "dead reckoning" indicates it was approximately 0.7 miles beyond
Terminal Station or somewhere on the Water Street Branch. Where was
N&W's pre-1912 depot ?

Not only was Norfolk's Terminal Building the station for N&W, VGN, and N&S
passenger trains, it was also headquarters (at one time) for Virginian,
Norfolk &
Southern, the N&PBL, and the Norfolk Terminal Company.

By the 40's, that part of Main Street in Norfolk had turned into tattoo
parlors,
burlesque theaters and flop houses. One block over, N&W ran down the
middle of Water Street. Class W's set up produce warehouses with refers
on 3rd trick. Water Street was appropriately named -- after a nor'easter,
crews
would kick cars into the mdse. yard causing a wake to ripple across the
streets
below the Berkley bridge.

In attempt to clean up its act, Norfolk's city fathers approached an N&W
official
and requested that the Water Street Branch be removed since there was no
longer
any traffic. He complied --- without ever filing for abandonment with the
ICC.

Harry Bundy