Picking German Nits.

Fri Sep 30 12:32:45 EDT 2005

Mark Combs, Bill Sellers, et. al.,

You're right, I'm right and we're all alright. The spelling is certainly
Guterwagen but with an umlaut (") over the u. The noun Wagen is masculine
gender, hence "Der (geshlossene/gedeckte/offene) Gueterwagen" using the
accepted standard "e" following an umlauted vowel when no umlaut symbol is
available. Lest the rest of you listers think we are discussing
inconsequential things, the use of the umlaut in written German is crucial
to correct spelling. The umlauted and non-umlauted vowels are considered
different letters in the German (Roman) alphabet. Curiously, since we are
really getting way off the NWHS track here, the plural form of boxcar "auf
Deutsch" is "Die ('die' is always the plural article) Gueterwaggons" with an
"o" instead of an "e" unless my "Duden" (standard German dictionary)
contains a misprint. This is highly unlikely because my copy of Duden was
proofed and signed by Otto von Bismarck himself. Thanks to all of you
listers for putting up with this non-N&W/Vgn. discussion. I really hate to
make such nit-picking mistakes when picking such nits.

Albert Burckard

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:34 PM
Subject: German Nitpicking