40 and 8 Boxcars

Sun Sep 18 10:12:29 EDT 2005

http://www.rypn.org/Merci/

Enjoy!

Andy Jennings
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: 40 and 8 Boxcars

Hi Al, you are correct about the 40&8 meaning 40 men or 8 horses, but I think that I would hate to be one of those 40 men crammed into that tiny car!

I have not been able to find one site that gives a comprehensive list of all of the 40&8 cars. I have seen all of the ones discussed to date - Welch, Spencer, & Newport News, but that is absolutely all that I know about. I too would be curious to learn if there is a comprehensive list.

Jerry

Jerry Kay, et. al.,

Does anyone know of a resource giving the current status of all of the original "Merci" (40 Hommes/Chevaux) boxcars?

Although I have often read these cars were called "forty and eights" by the doughboys, I assume it meant 40 men or 8 horses.

Albert Burckard