Atlantic Coast Line R-1 4-8-4's

Wed Sep 7 00:04:06 EDT 2005

Bill - I appreciate your feelings for your favorite 4-8-4s but let's look at
a few items.

First, Js never handled a 12-14 car lightweight train; the ARROW was a 5-6
car lightweight train, which, for a J, was nothing. Two of the three
Southern trains were all heavyweights, up to 15 cars, and the grades between
Lynchburg and Bristol were up to 1.34% (westbound up Allegheny Mountain).
The speed limit on this mountain was 40MPH due to curvature, with a 50MPH
curve at the bottom so no high-speed run could be gotten for the climb.
Yet, a J could violate the speed limit up above Montgomery Tunnel (several
miles up the hill) with a long heavyweight train.

The J could also run 100 MPH where required, on the Norfolk and Scioto
Divisions.

Now, your contention that a J couldn't have accelerated a 1500-ton train to
70MPH as quick as an 1800 is not based on anything other than your gut feel.
Since the 1800 was not capable of producing the drawbar horsepower (much
less the starting tractive effort) of the J (the J was tops among 4-8-4s in
this achievement, and the 1800 was not even in the top rank), the J could
certainly have accelerated any train the 1800 could handle faster than the
1800 could.

I invite you to ask yourself the following question: If you put an 1800 on
the N&W, could it do what the J did? The answer is - no way. It would have
had trouble lifting a 15-car Pelican out of Marion, Va., eastbound; it would
have had trouble getting an eastbound Cavalier out of Northfork, it couldn't
have gotten a westbound Pocahontas back up to track speed on Bluefield
Mountain after reducing speed for the 25MPH "Jug Neck" reverse curve. These
are things the J was specifically built to do.

If you put a J on the ACL, could it do everything the 1800 did? Absolutely!
The 1800 never had to contend with the grades and curvature that the J did,
and the J could have made the time. What's the maximum grade on the ACL
between Richmond and Miami? I'll bet it's less than 1/2 of 1% and probably
less than that (the SAL had worse grades than ACL did).

And why was ACL so quick to bump the 1800s into freight service? If they'd
been all that great a passenger engine, they'd have lasted longer in the
service. But it's well known that they had deficient counterbalancing, and
were hard on the track. The J's weren't . . .

Now, Bill - the 1800s were good looking engines. If your admiration ended
there, I'd be all for you. But if you get into performance comparisons,
you're treading on thin ice.

The N&W bought the tenders (ten of them, not eight) because they were big,
not because the engines that pulled them were great. And Saunders didn't
buy them . . .

But Keep Steaming! And I wish you'd distribute those great GM 2-10-0 audio
tapes . . .

Ed King

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 9:33 PM
Subject: Atlantic Coast Line R-1 4-8-4's