Military Railways: Chart of Units

Thu Aug 25 19:47:00 EDT 2005

I was in South Korea for two weeks in April, mostly in the Seoul area, and
I didn't see any trace of steam locomotives except those on display at
such places as the railroad museum in Pugok (just south of Seoul) and one
near Panmunjom by the border. South Korea has a very modern railway
system that would make any US visitor green with envy. Trains are
frequent, on time, and clean. Stations are well-maintained and attractive
to riders. The new main station in Seoul, now hosting high-speed trains,
looks like a new airport, which makes sense because the HS trains are like
planes without wings.

It's possible there are some steam locomotive still operating in the
North, but I understand that coal shortages have complicated such
operations up there.

A few years ago I received a picture taken by a US Army captain who'd been
in the Balkans and his photo showed a couple of 0-6-0Ts that quite likely
are former US Army locomotives from WW II. Quite a few of these
locomotives remained overseas after the war, and in the Balkans there may
be some still operating.

Tim Moriarty