Dwight, N&W and The Mighty Mo

Wed Aug 24 00:08:40 EDT 2005

Harry Bundy,

This is very timely info.

I have recently prowled around at and photographed the remnants of the Dwight site knowing only that it was a coal and water stop.

I am currently putting together the "Military History" portion of "A Brief History of Isle Wight County" which is the local APVA chapter's "Jamestown 2007" project.

This booklet was originally published in 1907 for the 300th anniversary, covering 1608 (when CPT John Smith came across the James to what is now our county) thru 1906, and now we are updating it to include the last 100 years.

Do you have any more N&W/military history gems like this? Anything between Zuni and the Suffolk line along the N&W "racetrack" would be useful.

Thanks for anything you can contribute.

Albert Burckard

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 8:09 AM
Subject: Re: The Mighty Mo

Regarding ammo for BB-63, the Missouri -- between Windsor and Zuni, VA
on the 52-mile tangent is a relatively unknown station - Dwight. At one time
it had been a coaling station. During World War II, it became a dispersal
point for ammunition. Switchers were assigned to assemble explosives for
movement to Tidewater on a just-in-time basis. Why ? Because Dwight was
beyond the range of a naval bombardment. So it is possible N&W provided
ammunition for BB-63.

After my return to civilian service, the Coast Guard cutter I was assigned to
got into a scrap with one of the Iowa-class battleships. The USCGC
Chincoteague was commissioned in 1943. Formerly a seaplane tender,
the 311-foot ship was a hand-me-down from the U.S.Navy. The 40-mm
guns had been removed and the only armament left on the "Chink" was a
turret-mounted 5 inch 38.

On weather patrol in the North Atlantic, the "Chink" picked up a huge blip
on radar. More out of curiosity than anything else, a message was
sent for the blip to identify itself. Minutes ticked by. No response. A
second message was sent demanding identification. Still no response.
Now the Coast Guard was livid. CIC (Combat Information Center) became
alive and a third message was sent "Identify yourself or be fired upon".

That's when the cutter received this reply - "Fire when ready. We'll spot
for you. BB-62". The USS New Jersey fresh from refit for the Viet Nam
conflict was attempting to maneuver through the Atlantic undetected.
Harry Bundy