Senior Citizens

Mon Jul 18 16:16:37 EDT 2005

As a fully qualified Senior Citizen, here's my two cents worth. Kids are
still interested in trains, but do not have the access my generation did. So
it's up to grandparents (which I am)and parents (which I was) to find ways
that fit the times. My grandkids enjoy (1) Thomas,
(2) the G scale Blue Comet in their basement (3) the live steam Wabash,
Frisco, and Pacific
which operates a few months a year west of St. Louis. When they are a
little older, we'll take them on the dinner train at St. L. Union Station. Maybe
it's passed thru the genes !

But kids ARE still curious about the world they live in. When we visit the
W,F, & P, the parking lot is filled as parents and kids show up to watch and
ride. When I 'crew' for friends during the model RR open houses in the fall,
we teach kids how to use the command control throttle and run the railroad.
And I remember, with a tear in my eye, the 80's, when 611 and 1218 stormed
across Virginia. On those weekends, my RR buddy was my daughter; one of us on
the movie cam and one with the 35 mm.

As to the NMRA; yes, the organization became stagnant. The X2f coupler is a
symbol of frozen thinking; when it was adopted 46 years ago it was a good
and necessary step. The failure to abandon it when better ideas and better
'stuff' came along - who knows why ? Be grateful that NMRA did not adopt brass
rail and rheostats as permanent standards.

Jerry Crosson