"Settle Down Now Chaps"

Sun Jul 10 15:52:08 EDT 2005

I think Ann Hood's comments about the 2005 and 2006 Conventions are both well said, as one has come to expect from our British friends, and thoughtful. And though Ron has ruled the Thomas debate at an end, I will say again that in planning the 2006 event in Strasburg, we had to plan around the RR's Thomas event. So Thomas will not be part of our Convention, not because that would not be a nice attraction, but because it is not part of the Strasburg RR agenda at the time we can be there.

Our chief planning factors were: accomodations; visiting at a time when the RR will be running two trains each day; and the possibility of doing something special with #475. We don't know what the "something special" might be, but give us time to work on it. It is regretable that our Convention will conflict with the NMRA meet in Philly, but we could not avoid that and still meet all our planning criteria.

Other attractions include the Pennsylvania RR Museum, which is quite something, the Train Collectors of America Museum, the Amish community...and for shoppers, more outlet malls than one can handle. For those who crave mainline action, the NS main through Harrisburg is not that far away. As is the East Broad Top.

Planning is underway with the goal to give you more specific details this Fall.

Bill McClure