Line south of Roanoke

Mon Jun 27 19:48:42 EDT 2005

David,

The Winston-Salem District is also known as the R Line to the railroad. The trackage begins at Randolph St. Tower and goes via the Belt line to Belt Jct. before heading south to Winston-Salem, NC. The timetable I have dated 10/2/88 lists the distance of 121.3 miles. The mile posts column lists W-S (Old Yard) as being 126.3 miles. It may be even shorter with the line relocation at Martinsville Speedway (MP R 72) this year.

Bellows Creek? The correct spelling is Belews Creek for the location of Duke Power plant. The branch to Duke is 4.1 miles long. Belews Creek Jct is at MP R 105.

David you can contact me off list if you would like at: nwrlinemp72 at comcast.net

Question for Ron Davis. You said that: "Two or three times a week a train of grain heads down to the chicken houses in North Carolina." When these trains leave Old Yard do they head straight south or do they curve east over to the WSSB yard first?

I want to thank Jimmy L., Richard M. and Cal R. for educating me all about the Winston-Salem District in the last few years. It's my favorite line of the N&W.

Take care, John Hecker