SD45's

Thu May 5 18:34:09 EDT 2005

This is data from Bowers: several units went to Morrison-Knudsen via third parties, were rebuilt by M-K and added to their lease fleet designated SD40M-2s, i.e. downrated SD45s. For one example, 1770 was leased to W&LE, then sold to National Railway Equip., which resold it to M-K. It was then leased to SP as 8661. The Roster doesn't tell how long it served on SP or what its ultimate fate was.

A review of this data, which came from N&W records, indicates the following served on SP, albeit via M-K lease: 1753, 1767, 1769 and 1770. I could have made it clearer that they served on some of those RRs via lease arrangements, not ownership.

This may not answer all of your questions, but I hope it helps some

Bill McClure