accident forwarded

Fri Apr 29 18:01:48 EDT 2005

Moderator:

My forward of an article from the Hagerstown Morning Herald was not clear
about the details of this accident.  #214, stack train, was in siding at
Shepherdstown waiting to pass a southbound train.  The end of the train was
on the main track because the train stopped short of a crossing which is at
about the midpoint of the siding.  The Loram train struck the rear of #214.

I understand from a resident who lives at this location that it is common
for trains in the siding to avoid blocking the crossing in this manner.

Rick Morrison