One person crews

Fri Apr 29 15:17:34 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/28/2005 10:06:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

> A one-person crew would handle a knuckle or air hose the same way a
> two-person, or a three-person crew would...call for Mechanical  Department
> assistance.  Light unit consists have been operating engineer only on N&W
> for years.
> By the way, do you think an Amtrak crew could change a knuckle or even know
> how to use an air hose wrench?  If your answer is yes, go back to sleep,
> you're having a very pleasant dream!  Don Corbin

Well Don,
You just made me sit straight up in bed with that nasty statement! With
railfans like you, we don't need any enemies!

What the heck have you been smokin' lately? I do take exception to your snide
comments about the working knowledge of train crews and I feel that an
apology is warranted to all operating employees that read this forum!

Yes, you are correct that with a one man crew some assistance will be
necessary, but it wouldn't have to come from the mechanical department. I don't guess
you have ever heard about a "Utility Man"?

I hope this one man crew never comes to pass for NS's sake!
Jimmy Lisle