Updated CPL installation at Roanoke

Tue Apr 26 08:39:36 EDT 2005

Ben,

One possible explanation for the use of new parts rather than refurbed is the mass (weight) of the parts.  The new cantilever probably would have required a more massive structure if the parts were the original parts that presumably weigh a lot more than the new aluminum parts.  So, it may have been a trade off between reusing existing parts and buying a stronger cantilever and base **or** buy new signal heads.

Ed Sproles

  Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 4:49 AM
  Subject: Updated CPL installation at Roanoke

  Hey folks!

  Yesterday I paid a visit to my sister and her family in Roanoke, and while there I just had to go by and check out this signal we've been talking about.  I've even attached a couple of my not-so-good photographs of it.  (Sorry, but my digital camera is kinda outdated!)

  Well, here's what we have.  The arms on this signal are not Union Switch & Signal arms.  They are not reconditioned units.  They are BRAND SPANKING NEW Safetran CPL's!  Every piece of this installation is new.  The well trained eye can look at the back of these units in my photo taken from the bridge and see the difference.  There's no spider frame.  They have frames made out of aluminum angle.  The Safetran logo is visible on the back of the lamp casings.  (Again I apologize, my photos aren't great, but its there.)

  Roanoke is now the proud home of the newest Norfolk & Western Color Position Light block signals in existence!  In a way, its the signal version of a "new steam locomotive".

  Now, this raises another question.  Why did NS spend the extra money for these new CPL arms?  Evidently, this was cheaper than having to do all the extra work with new aspects, right?  It avoided FRA involvement in the change.  Why was that cheaper?

  Does that mean that from now on, when NS changes out CPL installations as they fail that they will just put up NEW CPL's instead of the three light signals?

  I'll take back what I said before about common sense being applied.  I'm more confused now than I was.

  Ben Blevins