Clear Fork Branch request

Mon Apr 25 21:01:48 EDT 2005

Gordon,

It is a long involved story that probably began in 1933 with the National
Recovery Act and I haven't researched it.

The short version is:

In 1946 the mine operators and United Mine Workers couldn't agree on a new
contract.  When there was no new contract on April 1 the union walked off
the job.  They went back to work for a brief period of time.  On May 21,
1946 the President of the United States directed the Secretary of Interior
to take possession of the mines on behalf of the Federal Government.  A Coal
Mines Administration was created similar to one that had been created in
July 1943 t handle a similar coal production crisis.  An Admiral from the
U.S. Navy was selected as the Coal Mines Administrator.  Approximately 3,350
bituminous coal mines were siezed by the government.  Normally this meant
the U.S. Navy advised the coal operators the Navy was in charge, but
everyone should keep on working.

The Dept. of Interior, assisted by the U.S. Navy negotiated a contract with
the United Mine Workers which was signed on May 29, 1946 in the White House.
In March 1947 the U.S. Navy still retained control of approximately 2,350
mines.

The Carter Coal Company of Coalwood had steadfastly refused to sign a
contract with the UMWA since 1933.  Their issue was the closed shop.  They
generally abided by all the agreements of  the union contract other than the
closed shop.

Homer Hickman, Sr.  wrote a short history of Coalwood where he noted on
Janaury 1, 1947 the US Navy took over the property of the Carter Coal
Company.  All of the Carter Coal Company employees were terminated and
placeded on a different payroll.  A complete inventory and appraisal was
taken by independent auditors.  Upon completion of the inventory the mine
was put back in production.  The Navy let the same people who had been
operating the mine to continue to operate it. Hickman noted that whenever
there was a grievance between the miners and maangers that they couldn't
settle, the miners would take it to the Navy who generally agreed with the
miners.

The Navy took over the Coalwood Clubhouse as living quarters and there were
a number of officers and enlisted men on the mine premises.  The Navy
operate the mine for six months which was all that was allowed under the war
time act.  They then reinventoried all of the mne assets and returned the
propery back to the Carter Coal Company.  Carter offered all of the men
their old jobs back, but the uniuon refused to work without a signed
contract.  In November 1947 Carter Coal Comapny sold their Coalwood works to
Youngstown Sheet and Tool Company who operated the mines as the Olga mines.

This is the story about the Clear Fork Branch, but there were at least
another 100 coal mining companies in McDowell County, WV where this took
place.  I don't know to what extent the Navy siezure had on other
operations.  The Navy's records on the operation are in the National
Archives, but the more colorful stories come from the local newspapers.

Alex Schust

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: Clear Fork Branch request