"New" CPLs at Roanoke

Thu Apr 14 01:48:21 EDT 2005

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:57:33 -0400
From: "Galen Wright" <k4cno at verizon.net>
Subject: N&W CPL Observation

While in Roanoke yesterday I noticed something that I
thought wasn't a big deal, but evidently it is very
interesting.  Just west of the N&W passenger station
is a road bridge that has been closed for some time.
There was a set of N&W CPLs mounted to the bridge for
westbound movements on two tracks.  I noticed that a
new signal bridge has been erected just east of the
road bridge.  The bridge is of the same cylindrical
pipe construction as many new signal bridges are on NS
now.  However, instead of installing southern style
signals on the bridge, it has "new" color position
lights.  I don't know if these were the same signal
heads that were originally on the road bridge or if
they were new.  But, they evidently had been painted
and cleaned up nice.  It is a little odd
seeing the CPL signals on the new modern signal
bridge.

Galen A. Wright
k4cno at verizon.net
Amherst, Virginia

April 14, 2005

Good morning, Galen:

If anyone looks more closely at this signal bridge, it
would be interesting to know if the signal heads are
refurbished Union Switch and Signal equipment or if it
is something newer.

Good night and good morning,

Frank

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator