Durham District in the '50s

Mon Mar 28 23:46:13 EST 2005

Jerry,

Thanks for pointing out link to the topo map that shows the connections of
the A&D and the L&D. Yesterday (Sunday) I went to Denniston, asked  a local man
who lives in the old general store at the cross road about the  Junction.  He
took me a couple hundred yards to the site of the A&D  crossing over the N&W
track.  Everything from the A&D (NF&D) is  gone: track, railbed, bridge,
building, everything.  Just a crop of briers,  trees and bushes.  I didn't go down
to the track nor further  along down the dirt road that looks as if it went
where the  connecting track that you see on the topo map might be.  All the more
 reason for another trip up there.

In the stuff that I have and have read about the Lynchburg and Durham and
the Durham District of the N&W, there isn't much said about Denniston.   I don't
know much about the A&D other than what little there was in a Google  search
I did.  I think the A&D predated the L&D by a few years and  that it started
out as a narrow gauge railroad and about 1985(?) converted to  standard gauge.
The people of Roxboro (my home town) in 1890 were  more excited about
connecting to South Boston than to Danville and little was  made of Denniston in the
local paper.  The L&D RR Annual  Reports barely mention Denniston Junction.
So, my question is the same as  yours. What would a connection to the A&D have
offered to the L&D  and later the N&W and why wouldn't it have been more
emphasized at least  locally?

Chuck Stewart
Bahama, NC

In a message dated 3/28/05 3:46:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,