Train order signal blueprints

Sun Mar 27 14:11:15 EST 2005

March 27, 2005

Hello, all:

While at Boyce station yesterday, I looked closely for
how the train order levers were connected to the mast
outside the operator's bay window.  I noted a plugged
hole in the floor, as well as a concrete-filled
opening in the basement wall abount 12 inches below
grade.  This suggests that the levers were
floor-mounted.  The lower end of the lever below the
floor connected to the rods that ran to the base of
the mast.  That rules out the use table-top mount
levers, although I may still put a pair of levers on
display.  Maybe someday I'll reopen the hole in the
floor and find an appropriate pair of floor-mounted
levers.  These are what were at many C&O stations I
worked in, such as Beaverdam, Sabot, and Mineral.
Those were manufactured by Union Switch and Signal.

If the Archives has station blueprints or standard
drawings depicting how floor mounted levers were
installed in stations, or bills of materiel for train
order signal installations for any location that list
manufacturer of components and the parts number, I'd
like to purchase copies.  This is long-term desire so
if these turn up in a future working session, they'll
be equally welcome at that time.

Best wishes,

Frank

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator