Conductor Burnett's Train Book for June 17, 1928

Sat Mar 19 22:01:11 EST 2005

 JUNE 17, 1928.  Extra 453 West Roanoke to Christiansburg, and Ex 1722 West
Christiansburg to Bluefield.  (Eng 453, a Class M, "hauled ahead" Roanoke to
Christiansburg, and cut off at that point.)   108 empty hoppers.

On Eng 453, Engineman J L Roberts and Fireman N A Fisher.  On Eng 1722,
Engineman G W Roberts and Fireman Harrell.  Also had helper Eng 439 from Blake to
Bluefield, no crew names given.

Conductor ADB, Flagman May, Head End Brakeman Linkous.

Reported 9:45am.  Departed Park St 10:00am, departed WB 10:40am.

Elliston 11:25 am - ---.
Christiansburg 1:00pm - 1:15pm.
Potts Valley Jct 2:25pm - 2:50pm, to s/o 2nd thru 12th car, mty hoppers.
Ingleside 4:15pm - ---.
Arrived Bluefield 4:10pm.

--------------------
A few observations.

1.  How could a crew, called for 9:45am, move the engine from the Round House
to the yard, couple to the train, make a brake test and depart, all within 15
minutes?  I suspect that the head end crew was called 15 minutes ahead of the
rear end crew (a standard practice at many places) just for the purpose of
getting the engine "out of the house."

2.  It's very interesting that M's were being used for helper service in 1928.

3.  In cases where Grandfather does not record the names of the Engineman and
Fireman on the helper engine (such as in this case, where Eng 439 assisted
from Blake to Bluefield,) I suspect that the helper "hauled ahead" rather than
pushed, in which case Grandfather would never have seen the engine crew.  But
if the helper coupled ahead, how did Grandfather even get the engine number?  I
don't know.

-- abram burnett