Have a CSX question

Sat Feb 26 15:28:02 EST 2005

Harry, I suspect that a deal was cut between the State of Maryland and CSX which permiited the headquarters of the railroad to move to Jacksonville. The B&O charter required its HQ to be in Maryland and that was a sticking point in getting rid of the B&O corpoarte shell. I believe there were also some tax advantages that the old B&O enjoyed that CSX wanted to preserve. I have always thought that as part of a deal CSX agreed to focus on Baltimore at the expense of News, even though ships have to travel the length of the Chesapeake Bay to get to Baltimore and even though the James River line was less congested than the old B&O.

And it wasn't just coal; CSX virtually gave the Port of Hampton Roads to NS for container shipments and manifest traffic.  It focused its docks on heavy lift shipments, not on container traffic.

Bill McClure